POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PIII/Athlon and P4 optimized Binaries : Re: PIII/Athlon and P4 optimized Binaries Server Time
7 Aug 2024 21:18:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PIII/Athlon and P4 optimized Binaries
From: Bob H
Date: 31 Aug 2001 23:09:55
Message: <3b905183@news.povray.org>
"Andy Cocker" <big### [at] mariner9fsnetcouk> wrote in message

> > Got to 800MHz finally here and you know I want to upgrade already!
>
> What did you upgrade FROM to 800MHz Bob, and was performance enhanced
> noticeably, and was it worth doing?

Well, I wasn't exactly hurting before except that I felt confined to a
desktop system far too long and got myself a DELL notebook.
It was a 500MHz PII before (talk like it's gone but it's still here).
I have the 815E(M) chipset in this notebook, almost without a doubt not a
great system, just affordable luxury having the 3-spindle setup (HD, CD-RW,
DVD).
I don't ever seem to be able to sort out the best hardware even if I knew
what I was doing because I always end up buying what I can manage to pay for
instead.

You're lucky the RAM prices have dropped.  If I had bought the two 256MB
modules back in February when I got this thing it'd have cost me around $600
USD.  Got them for only $86 a couple weeks ago.

Wish you good luck with your soon to be (hopefully) new system.

Bob H.